Urges and cravings

6 posts, 0 answered
  1. freedomchild
    freedomchild avatar
    80 posts
    18 Jan 2022
    21 Jan 2022
    Link to this post
    I don't get withdrawals anymore just urges and cravings. My neighbors woke me up hollering this morning. What an awful way to wake up. Right at 1:30 am. I couldn't get back to sleep. I think they were having a few drinks. I live in an apartment building so when you make any noise it's loud. Anyways it's hard still getting past these urges and cravings. I'm on the lozenges. They help a lot. My doctor and nurse thinks I should be cutting down on them, but it gets hard. Right now I am still doing 10 or 12 a day. They say I should be only doing 5 or 6. How do you ween down? I am doing the 1 mg lozenges. It's going to take me extra time to get off these. I'm trying to suck in mint candies but that gets hard to.  I quit because I have breast cancer and heart disease. I don't want to go back to it. Nope nope nope. I have been saying that everyday. Not one puff ever.  I guess I'm scared to do something else when i shouldn't be. I wasn't scared to quit smoking but it almost scary to get off the lozenges. Maybe in a few days I might feel different. 
  2. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    21 Jan 2022 in reply to freedomchild
    Link to this post
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis... that must be tough. As for the noisy neighbours I have that too. We have an opera singer living two doors up and we get 'treated' to live performances every weekend... sometimes she has people joining her...
    Theres a big difference between urges and cravings.. I find that anyway. A craving can be dealt with sucking on a hard boiled sweet or drinking water. But urges are something else. You literally have to have a conversation with yourself and convince yourself not to cave. Ive been battling a few of those this past week and its horrible. So much so that Im dreaming now that I smoked. 

Hang on in there. Use the lozenges for as long as you need to. Only you know whats working and so far they seem to be helping you. 
  3. jenna lee, quit coach
    jenna lee, quit coach avatar
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    22 Jan 2022 in reply to freedomchild
    Link to this post
    Hi Freedomchild,

Here are some strategies for weaning off of NRT:

1) Delay the time before using the product
    2) switch to another product such as spray
    3) Try non-NRT methods for cravings such as the 4D's: delay, distract, deep breathe, drink water
    4) try a practice quit - don't use the lozenges for a time free and see what the experience is like - this may address the fear of the unknown that you are describing

Continue to go over your reasons and motivation for quitting smoking as well like you are. Also, please continue the dialogue with your healthcare provider. They may be encouraging you to wean off the lozenges, but if that means potentially relapsing, then they may have other suggestions.

Best,

Jenna Lee
  4. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    26 Jan 2022
    Link to this post
    Urges are way worse than the cravings. The cravings come and go fairly quickly but the urges can last for hours. We romantisise the idea of a cigarette and dream about it and think that we need it. But its not true. We dont need it at all we just think we do. Distraction is key and repeating things like NOPE. 
  5. freedomchild
    freedomchild avatar
    80 posts
    18 Jan 2022
    26 Jan 2022
    Link to this post
    Thanks a lot. I guess patients is what i need in cases like this. Your right the urges are worse then the cravings.  Its awful. But i will try doing without sometimes and see what happens.  I know its all in my mind,  I guess i need to focus on other things, Like how well i am doing without them or something, I saw a short film and they said to imagine climbing a mountain , during the climb you may stumble but get up and keep climbing until the urge or craving is over, then deep breath for a few minutes.  I guess i just need a few more weeks on them.  I'm ok with that,
  6. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    30 Jan 2022 in reply to freedomchild
    Link to this post
    Hi freedomchild, 

Sorry to hear about your conditions but proud of you for making the decision to quit. Quitting this awful addiction is not easy, it’s hard work for sure but you are doing it. Looking at all positives that come with quitting certainly help in getting us through the rough times. There is much freedom that comes to us from no longer being a slave to our addiction. Try to practice deep breathing & distracting yourself. I found these two things crucial in my quit journey along with the support of family, friends & this little community. Wishing you all the best with your quit. Keep coming on here. Hang in there! You got this!
    Last modified on 30 Jan 2022 13:27 by wandam
6 posts, 0 answered