I keep delaying my quit date

10 posts, 0 answered
  1. brendaforlife
    brendaforlife avatar
    2 posts
    16 Feb 2020
    07 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi there - I have reset my quit date several times and am very disappointed in myself.  I find that I am smoking way more than ever.  Feeling stressed and guilty.  Anyone out there that has experienced something similar - if so, can you share.  I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

BLS
  2. Val H
    Val H avatar
    164 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    07 Apr 2020 in reply to brendaforlife
    Link to this post

Hi brendaforlife.

I had set numerous quit dates and had tried to quit many times, most of them not making a day. This quit I have over a month. I took it one craving at a time and did things like deep breathing and distraction to get me through. Most days I light a scented candle or plug in a scented plug in so that I can really enjoy breathing deeply. I also get anxiety so I researched ways to deal with that and applied them.

Keep trying but don't be too hard on yourself. It'll happen when you're ready.

quitfriend

3. jenna lee, quit coach
    jenna lee, quit coach avatar
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    07 Apr 2020 in reply to brendaforlife
    Link to this post
    Hi Brendaforlife,

Sometimes the concept of 'quit date' can be daunting. Some people try a 'practice quit date' where they just commit for one day. Wake up and tell yourself 'just for today, I am not going to smoke'. If you wake up the next day and decide to do the same thing, then great! If not, use it as a learning opportunity to reflect on what went right and what did not. Then you may feel more prepared for your next quit attempt.

Keep in mind what quitfriend said, it can take many attempts. No one attempt is useless.

Oh, and remember that stress and guilt feelings mean that quitting is important to you! So, although they are not pleasant emotions, they are helpful to guide you to what you truly want.

Good on you for reaching out,

Jenna Lee
    Last modified on 07 Apr 2020 14:22 by jenna lee, quit coach
  4. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    09 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    Brenda,

It is the fear of change. 

Much like quitfriend I too tried to quit many times. Eventually you dig deep and just go for it. 

Do the My Quit Plan on this website - it really helps to get you thinking about the whole thing. 

5. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    09 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi Brenda

Quit date is a challenge!
    I quit cold turkey and I sleep and relapse so many times that I don't even remember, until one day I stopped cheating to my self! Quit smoking is Journey, every time  you quit again you will get stronger and stronger!
    Be nice with your self, celebrate everyday smoke free! train yourself to quit! Make a plan and stick to it!
    1 day at the time! 
  6. treepeo1
    treepeo1 avatar
    255 posts
    06 Feb 2020
    09 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi brendaforlife,

I had so many quit dates that I lost count, so you are not alone in that.  Finally, I told myself that I was going to quit while I was off on Christmas break.  I did the exercises on this site, and gave quitting a lot of thought.  The first day I tried, I only made it to 7:00 p.m.  I regrouped, and two days later I tried again.  I quit cold turkey.  It was really hard, no doubt about it.  But I was determined to change my life.  And I told myself that if I caved yet again, I would never get the job done.  So I stuck with it.  That was over three years ago and I have been a non-smoker ever since.

Every time you try to quit you learn something.  And your efforts tell you that you really do want to quit.  I would recommend that you do the program on this site.  You will probably learn a thing or two.  It will also help you to mentally prepare for your quit.  You need to have a plan in place.  For example, are you going to quit cold turkey, or are you going to use NRTs?  If the latter, which ones?  How are you going to handle cravings?  What things can you do to distract yourself?  Are you going to tell your family and friends that you are planning to quit?  The more prepared you are, the better your chances of quitting successfully.

You can do this, brendaforlife.  Believe in yourself.
  7. genesis
    genesis avatar
    3 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    10 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    You only lose when you quit trying! I was terrified of gaining weight but, when I could no longer read a full sentence out loud to my class, I realized I did not have a choice. If I wanted to live an active life, and continue working in my chosen profession, I’d better give it one more go. I had tried everything to this point and, though not planned, I asked my physician what I could try...I had a prescription for Zyban a year or two before, but, after a week or two, could not continue! Well, Champix and this website got me through many a disturbing few months.
    Just keep trying, just keep swimming. 
  8. brendaforlife
    brendaforlife avatar
    2 posts
    16 Feb 2020
    20 Apr 2020
    Link to this post
    Thank you to everyone who replied - you guys are the best!  So today, I decided that I would smoke less.  I sent my timer on my phone to make me wait - I was very happy to find that I could go longer.  My goal is at the end of the day I will count what I smoked and try to decrease over the next week.  I am hoping this will work better for me.  Again, I really appreciate your support.  I feel so much better that I have finally taken a step towards quitting.  All the best!
  9. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    21 Apr 2020 in reply to brendaforlife
    Link to this post
    Brenda,

Good luck with reducing how much you are smoking as that is a step in the right direction. 

For me I found the smoke timer app only left me frustrated and overfocusing on the next smoke time. I was craving smokes all day long even though I was still smoking as my body was going through nicotine withdrawal for extended periods. That was when I decided to educate myself about smoking and quitting, do the quit plan on this site and then just go cold turkey.  

10. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    07 Mar 2022
    Link to this post
    I think we have all been there. I remember as a smoker in the last few months of it everytime I put one out or finished a pack I would tell myself.. 'you have to quit these' and then would list the reasons in my head. But of course an hour later and Id be off to the shop to get another pack and repeat the whole process day in day out.
    Eventually I just decided.. this is it... no more. And that's what I did.
    I tried the patches several times but was never really fully committed to quitting in my mind. Tried Champix three times and while it worked, after a month or two I was back smoking. I think the best way to quit is to go cold turkey. While its the hardest method, it is the quickest way of getting through the rough start. This latest and my last quit I used the patches and the mist. When I went to the step 2 and step 3 the cravings and urges would strike hard and I very nearly relapsed with a slip I had. But I realised it was cos of the step down I was taking that caused it and regrouped and kept going. I noticed after the slip that I had blood in my mucos in the morning in the shower and that scared the life out of me to not relapse.
    I tried cold turkey several times but I just couldn't do it. Hats off to all those who managed it. The patches are great but you have to have your mind made up that you really do want to quit. Then just bite the bullet, prepare for battle get the head down and just plough through it. It takes time and its a slow process but it does get easier.
10 posts, 0 answered