Forums / My journey / 2 Weeks Smoke Free - When does it get Easier?

2 Weeks Smoke Free - When does it get Easier?

14 posts, 0 answered
  1. chesk
    chesk avatar
    23 posts
    28 Jan 2019
    17 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Chris and I am 36 year old pack a day for the last 20
    years and I am 2 weeks smoke free!

I have a question for you veterans of quit smoking.

The hardest part I have found so far is the feeling of deep sadness and depression. This was something I was not expecting. I have always been a happy and positive person and now I feel really depressed usually at night. This used to be my favorite time (kids were in bed) it was my tlast me. Now I just feel empty.

Does this pass? If so how long?

I also have a second question. It feels like I spend most of my mental energy focusing on not smoking , it is exhausting! Seriously like all time.

when can I expect to spend less time thinking about smoking?

The only thing that’s makes me more depressed about quitting smoking. Is going back to it lol.

Thanks for your insights ,

Chris - 2 weeks and going strong
  2. wimporswim
    wimporswim avatar
    65 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    17 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi Chris,
    Congrats on your 2 weeks!!!  You are doing this! 

A little better than 2 years ago I was asking myself the same question and was lucky enough to find several posts by veterans telling me that, YES!, Easier days will come!

The first six weeks for me were exhausting also.  It was very hard to focus on anything but wanting to smoke and then trying to focus on not giving in to temptation.  I was a zombie!  But the good news is that at `some  point you will experience "an easy day".  And that first easy day will feel like the first warm day of spring.  I can't tell you exactly what day it was for me and I sure can't tell you when your first day will be but - YOU will have easier days.

As always, there is a caveat.  You may find after an easy day, or after several easier days, that you are hit hard by size 10 cravings for a number of days and feel like you are going backwards!  But keep going strong, keep your sense of humor ...... and keep swimmin'.  We got this, Chris!

wimporswim (775 days and never one puff again)
  3. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    17 Feb 2019 in reply to chesk
    Link to this post
    Hi Chris, my name is Wanda, 52 yrs old, smoked a pack a day from my teens. Quit smoking Dec 3/18, & lately I too have been struggling with feeling down, along with decreased energy. I find walking does help & staying connected with my supports. Congrats on being smoke free, keep up the good work!
  4. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    17 Feb 2019 in reply to wandam
    Link to this post

Hello All,

Chris, congratulations for two weeks smoke-free! Glad that you are going strong! 

As you've already read in wimporswim's post, it will get easier eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

One reason that many people feel depressed after quitting may be due to changes in brain chemistry as a result of nicotine being taken out of the picture: for someone who smokes, nicotine stimulates the release of dopamine with every cigarette; after quitting, it can take some time for the brain to get into gear with its own dopamine production. 

Wanda, thanks for your tips re: walking and staying connected to supports! I hope that you feel better soon too.

What else are folks in the SHL.ca community finding helpful to cope with depression after quitting?

Regards,
    Efram

Last modified on 17 Feb 2019 19:41 by efram, quit coach
  5. chesk
    chesk avatar
    23 posts
    28 Jan 2019
    17 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Thanks everyone! 
  6. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    18 Feb 2019 in reply to chesk
    Link to this post
    Hey Chris,

2 weeks smoke free is awesome. You're just starting to adjust to not smoking and in the next week or two you will start to have better days.

Somewhere around week 3 or 4 I started to have days that I wasn't thinking about smoking all the time, and wasn't feeling so exhausted. As a matter of fact I started to feel much better physically than I had in a long time. It was towards the end of the 3rd week I was at a restaurant with my wife and we were enjoying some real nice food and some live music, I notice 3 gents get up from the table leaving their wives/dates at the table several times and go for a smoke. That was a moment I realized how much time I wasted smoking and the things I missed out on. At that moment I also realized I hadn't thought about smoking all evening.

You'll soon start to notice you have a bit more energy, maybe you get up that flight of stairs without puffing as hard, or you'll look in the mirror and notice your face is looking a bit brighter, or noticing how truly awful stale smoke smells on smokers.

I felt lost as well the first while. Everything I did included a smoke somewhere along the line. Now what was I to do? Then I started to notice how much faster I got stuff done and had more time to read a book, or watch a show, or walk the dog.

Start looking for the positives of not smoking.

PS - One motivator for keeping my quit is not wanting to go through withdrawal hell week again.
    Last modified on 18 Feb 2019 06:06 by atp
  7. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    18 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi all

I have read your post and I am happy you are in that moment when your body and mind trying to trick you down, so do not worry, just look ahead do all you can to get out that moment!
    I know it fail bad, it will pass by no time.

As far you distract your self!

Remember, you did great!
    You deserve to be free
    You are most important than it

I hope it helps

Hang in there! 
  8. mari_m
    mari_m avatar
    92 posts
    03 Jan 2019
    18 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi Chris and Wanda, Good for both of you on your non smoking journey. It is not an easy decision but so worth the determination and hard work.  I  am finding that I am not thinking about smoking as much anymore. It is a gradual change, and I have several distractions for when I do have an urge! And I have learned a lot from this helpline, so glad I joined. At times when I dont know which way to turn, I know I can always check in on this site, and I feel much better reading the posts. We can do this, one day, one hour and sometimes one minute at a time!  - m
  9. chesk
    chesk avatar
    23 posts
    28 Jan 2019
    27 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Thanks Everyone for you advice and support!

I am a month smoke free and after the first 2 weeks it has gotten significant easier.

10. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    28 Feb 2019 in reply to chesk
    Link to this post
    Chris,

One month - time to celebrate a major milestone!!! Take some time and do something for yourself as a reward, you've earned it. 

I was so excited when I got my one month email from smokers helpline. It really meant something. I went a whole month without smoking and I survived!

Keep an eye out for those cravings that pop up out of nowhere. I still have arguments with the addict in my head that keeps trying to convince to have a smoke. 

Keep that quit going!

11. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    28 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Good Morning All😀

Just wanted to say thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the information & support you all provide, this little community really does help me in remaining smoke free.

12. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    28 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    Chesk, 

Congrats on being 1 month smoke free, way to go! I hope you did something special to celebrate/treat yourself, keep up your smoke free journey!😀
  13. lisads
    lisads avatar
    22 posts
    21 Feb 2019
    28 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    chesk, congratulations on one month!

I'm glad you checked in as it has been really helpful for me to read all the comments and suggestions in this thread.

I'm 9 days smoke free and yesterday I started feeling really anger (I've been fairly angry all along but it oscillates with feeling happy and feeling normal). I've been sad for over 24 hours and it's sad. Ha, ha, that was me trying to be funny!

Thanks everyone for your experience and suggestions!
    Last modified on 28 Feb 2019 09:56 by lisads
  14. nadia b, quit coach
    nadia b, quit coach avatar
    47 posts
    18 Jan 2019
    28 Feb 2019
    Link to this post
    What a wonderful support group we have here!!

Chesk(Chris), CONGRATS on how far you have come!!! Looking back to your first post on Feb 17 to now, you can 100% attest to things getting easier as time passes.
    It was/is great to see members jumping in to share their tough moments and what really helped along the way.

Lisads, you've chosen the perfect group to get started and it's a reminder that you are not alone. I am happy to see that through the sadness, you still have a sense of humor...and you know what, sometimes we just need to laugh it off. You can definitely see that quitting is quite an emotional roller-coaster, but in time, it does get better. I am glad that you picked up a few suggestions throughout this thred. 

Keep up the amazing work everyone!
    Last modified on 28 Feb 2019 19:50 by nadia b, quit coach
14 posts, 0 answered