Lies we tell ourselves about smoking

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. renee, quitcoach
    renee, quitcoach avatar
    117 posts
    16 Jul 2018
    08 May 2019
    Link to this post
    When I think back to my years of smoking, I remember all the lies I would tell myself about smoking and cigarettes:

I'm not really addicted
    I can stop anytime I want to
    The pollution in the air is worse than a few cigarettes

And on and on.

Can anyone else relate? What lies do you tell yourself about smoking?

Renee
  2. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    10 May 2019 in reply to renee, quitcoach
    Link to this post
    Renee,

I never admitted to myself that I was an addict until I quit smoking and really spent some time educating myself about smoking.  

So many other lies, or things we just won't admit to ourselves -

The cost of smoking - never really wanted to think about how much I was spending on smoking. Just put it on the debit or credit bill while i'm buying gas and don't think about it. The quit calculator on the Dashboard really puts the cost of smoking in black and white.  For me in just over 4 months I have saved over $1800.00 - that is huge. That is a vacation right there. 

Health effects such as lack of energy, breathing issues, congestion - those are all just getting older and not due to smoking. Ha, now that I've quit I feel so much better and am healthier overall. That nasty cough is gone!, Blood pressure back to normal, can walk up stairs without weezing. 

The Big C - honestly all of us smokers knew of someone who had or has cancer, yet we continued puffing away not wanting to think that smoking was exposing us to massive increase in odds of getting cancer. 
  3. merline, quit coach
    merline, quit coach avatar
    124 posts
    12 Sep 2018
    16 May 2019 in reply to atp
    Link to this post

Hi atp,

Unbelievable in just over 4 months you have saved over $1800.00 that's a lot of money!

How long was your longest quit attempt?

One day at a time!

If you wish to have more support please call us at 1-877-513-5333
3 posts, 0 answered