8 posts, 2 answered
  1. shannon1233
    shannon1233 avatar
    5 posts
    29 May 2021
    Answered
    29 May 2021
    Link to this post
    So, after 53 years of smoking ( I'm now 68), I'm due for surgery later this year, and realized since I won't be able to smoke for at least 24-48 hrs post op' I was as nervous, anxious about that as the surgery! I've decided to try and quit now, to ease the related stress at that point:) I'll definately need everyone's help, please? I've spent the entire morning on the website, so know how to prepare and set my start date as June 2rd. I've also begun cutting out my "triggers" e.g. switched from 2 pots of coffee /day to 4 cups and carbonated lemon water. I really want to quit, and the only time I ever could, was while I was pregnant ( not going to happen now lol ) as I couldn't stand the smell. So, besides continuing reading, the forums, does anyone have any other tips for a long time, heavy smoker?
       Thank you all for reading and your input, TY so very much!
  2. shannon1233
    shannon1233 avatar
    5 posts
    29 May 2021
    Answered
    30 May 2021 in reply to shannon1233
    Link to this post
    Well, I've started getting ready by setting myself on a "clock", whereas I'd smoke 3 or 4 an hour, I'm setting myself on having to wait 2 hours between each smoke.. I really hope to get support in the coming days and want to Thank everyone in advance. All ready getting nervous, and I'll find out how I handle this NOPE while on breaks at work. But, I REALLY want and need to do this. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO'LL HELP! I've also enlisted my daughters help by telling her my quit date, will tell the boys if I make it through the first few days. I don't want to disappoint the kids or myself :( Wish me luck!
  3. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    30 May 2021
    Link to this post
    Hi shannon1233,

Welcome to our little community & congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking! Quitting this awful addiction is not easy but with the right knowledge, determination & support you can do it! Sounds like you a have these three factors in place for yourself! 
    I too had smoked many years like you & decided to quit in my late 40’s, I quit for 9 months that first time, kept a pack of cigarettes around & relapse with that pack, now on my fourth quit just passed 7 months on May 12/21. Honestly pack or no pack I probably would of smoked but I agree with what one of the quit coaches stated, not having a pack prevented her from relapse. Quitting is hard work & you really need to work at saying NOPE always! I still struggle with lighting up, especially with this warm weather! However the struggle was definitely harder in the beginning of my quit! Those first 3 days, weeks & months! I found distracting myself by keeping busy & drinking lots of lemon water so beneficial in helping me with my quit! Walking on breaks at work, educating myself on the hazards of smoking, benefits of quitting, making a list of the pros & cons of smoking, doing the homework on this site, coming on this site & leaning on my supports, especially my husband who never smoked. I hope some of what I shared helps you with your quit! Nice to have you join us!
    Last modified on 30 May 2021 20:14 by wandam
  4. shannon1233
    shannon1233 avatar
    5 posts
    29 May 2021
    30 May 2021 in reply to wandam
    Link to this post
    Thanks so very much! We can do this! Unfortunately, my hubby is a smoker, maybe if I'm successful over time, I'll inspire him to quit as well. LOL! Trying to look at the good side of this always, but I'm sure it'll make it harder :) Thank You again for your tips and welcome.
  5. treepeo1
    treepeo1 avatar
    255 posts
    06 Feb 2020
    30 May 2021 in reply to shannon1233
    Link to this post
    Hi shannon1233,

It is an excellent idea to quit now, well before your surgery.  Not only will it reduce your stress level, but you will also heal more quickly as a non-smoker, and you will also have less chance of complications.

Wandam gave you some really good suggestions.  The only other thing I would add is that when I quit, I slept a lot, because you don't crave when you sleep.

You're in for a rough ride, no doubt about that.  It is harder for us long term smokers to take the plunge.  But you can quit successfully.  You just have to set your mind to it and get tough with yourself.  i smoked for over 43 years and have now been a non-smoker for 4 years.  I can tell you in all honesty that quitting was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

These days, I can smell a smoker a mile away.  It's funny, smoke itself doesn't bother me so much, but I cannot stand the smell of a smoker.  It can actually make me gag.  It makes me embarrassed that that used to be me for most of my life.  I can't change the past, but I am so proud that I changed my present and future by becoming a non-smoker.  Not a day goes by that I am not grateful to the people on this site who helped me to achieve my goal.  It was life changing in so many ways.

Have faith in yourself, shannon 1233.  You can do this.  I am rooting for you.
  6. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    30 May 2021 in reply to treepeo1
    Link to this post
    Wow treepeo1, 4 years into your smoke free journey is awesome! I’m so grateful that you continue to come on here to share your wisdom & experience, you are always so helpful with all that you share with us! Your post/words have certainly helped me during times of struggle & continue to do so! You are amazing!
    Last modified on 30 May 2021 21:39 by wandam
  7. phoenix
    phoenix avatar
    11 posts
    31 Jan 2021
    31 May 2021
    Link to this post
    Hi shannon1233! I have some more suggestions that might help in your quit. Sugar-free hard candy to keep your mouth 'busy', lollipops for the hand to mouth motion that you do when you smoke, cutting a straw into thirds and stuffing a piece of toilet paper into the hollow can give you something to do the inhale/exhale motion that you go through when you smoke (during my 1st attempt at quitting, this was something I actually missed. Don't know why. Lol) and for me, the most important thing is NRT's. After screwing up twice, I found the patch was the biggest factor in keeping me smoke free! I also have mini lozenges for when I need that quick hit of nicotine. The trick is to find out what works for you! (I also downloaded an app called Smoke Free that's been helpful during my attempts. It keeps track of alot of things like money saved, cigarettes not smoked, health benefits, missions to accomplish, etc) I also have SHO community downloaded on my phone as well for inspiration, advice, ideas, etc. Together, we can do anything!!! Good luck!!
  8. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    31 May 2021 in reply to shannon1233
    Link to this post
    Hi shannon1233,

That is wonderful that you look at the good side of things & can take the lead in quitting smoking to be the positive role model for your husband. I try to do the same & I was very fortunate my husband didn’t smoke, that’s usually not the case, most do. So hats off to you in going forth with your quit & being the leader to good health & many benefits!
    Last modified on 31 May 2021 13:35 by wandam
8 posts, 2 answered