4 posts, 0 answered
  1. aurora
    aurora avatar
    94 posts
    08 Mar 2018
    06 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Everyone,

I haven't been on the site for a few weeks.  Yesterday was two months of me breaking free of my addiction to cigarettes, and it has been a journey!
    It took me a year to build up to my latest quit, and I have much experience as a long time smoker and several quits.
    I'm feeling strong.  When I quit the first 2 to 3 weeks was physical withdrawal - headaches and sleeplessness.  My strategies were to avoid any and all triggers to the best of my ability.
    The second month was tougher for me. 
    I had to engage more with the rest of the world.  Going to out to celebrations where people are drinking and smoking.  Being around smokers. The weather is nicer and each and every time I used to go out, I would have a smoke.  So now going outside, especially just to sit outside to enjoy the nice weather, can be a trigger. 
    I've found that this last month, I've had more cravings than the first month, mostly from having so many unavoidable triggers.  That is part of my quit journey - accepting that I cannot avoid everything, and standing strong in my new freedom.  I've fought so hard to quit, to break free, to have even one puff is not an option.  NOT AN OPTION.  People around me have told me it's an option.  But I know from experience that it is NOT for me. 
    During the tough times, I think about that fight, how I've fought SO hard.  And it is not worth it. 
    I think about how free I feel - one of the best things about being smoke free is the Freedom!  I love the freedom from smoking. 
    I am learning to be outside and to REALLY enjoy the fresh air.  Deep breathing is something I've done from day one, and now I take that deep breathing into the fresh outside air, and feel the difference in my lungs and in my body. 
    I've also had some challenges with physical symptoms such as sinus pain and headaches in my second month.  I remind myself that after decades of abuse, my body is healing, and it will take time.  This too shall pass, and I have a better chance of staying well and getting well if I give my body the chance to heal.
    I've had two people close to me who have been diagnosed with cancer in the second month of my quit.  An aunt with double lung cancer and a friend with brain cancer.  Both are non smokers.
    I remind myself that smoking does not decrease my stress - in fact it increases the stress and strain on my body, and that I will do healthy stress release.  There are many things I do for healthy stress release.  Challenge my thoughts; deep breathing; watch a self care video; take some natural stress relief drops; drink water; get busy; exercise; distraction
    I remind myself that there are 4000 chemicals in cigarettes and that will not help my stress or my body
    I remind myself how the shame and guilt of smoking will not help me feel better or reduce my stress
    I remind myself that I want to spend my money on living; not dying
    I remind myself of all the reasons for quitting - and the top 2 - for me to live better and hopefully longer; and for my young son who is watching me and learning from me - I want to be there for him for as long as I am given - and to do my part to make the most of that time

2. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    06 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Aurora,

That is such an inspirational message you have given. I appreciate your frank assessment of your quit journey as there are several items that I have also experienced along the way. I too am at the two month smoke free mark and have used NRT lozenges and gum to get here. I am also finding some challenges lately. In particular not having a cigarette while I am outside. But then I think about smoking outside in snow, rain and cold and that pretty much convinces me not to do it now because that will again come around!

I am rarely around smokers myself. Everyone I know either never smoked or quite some time ago. Occasionally on my walks I pass someone smoking and I think how glad I am not to be them.

Having a puff is not an option. I know for sure I would not stop at that. Yes the freedom of not smoking is wonderful! I too choose to spend my money on living.

I wish you strength in the coping with the difficult medical situation of your aunt and friend.

Eagerquit

3. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    06 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Aurora,

Congratulations on being smoke free for 2 months.  That is really terrific!  I am glad you are feeling strong.

Quitting smoking is probably the single most important thing you can do for yourself.  And you are setting a wonderful example for your son.  Both of my parents, and 8 out of 10 of my siblings, smoked, which is why I started.  Our house was always hazy from the smoke, and becoming a smoker myself was the only way I could cope with it.  How I wish things had been different.  If no one smoked in my family, chances are that I wouldn't have smoked, either.  So your son will really benefit from you being a non-smoker.

And I agree with you.  We have to stick to NOPE, not one puff ever.  I quit 15 months ago, and I love being a non-smoker.  But I still get the odd craving.  And I know that if I have even one puff, I am doomed.  And after everything I went through to quit, it's just not worth it.  No way, no how.

So keep the quit, Aurora, and stick to NOPE, and you will be fine.  And do something nice for yourself to celebrate this great milestone.  You deserve it.
  4. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    06 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Aurora,

Congratulations to you for being successful at 2 months- that is amazing!  

I agree with the eagerquit, your message is so inspiring.  So sorry for all that you are going through with your loved ones.  Very stressful for you to have to see them them go through such difficulty with their health.  As you shared re: your reminders, the one about stress is so valuable- smoking will only increase the stress.  Whereas self care will make such a positive difference for you.  Such powerful reminders you reiterate to yourself.  

Continue fighting strong as you are winning the battle.  You certainly have what it takes.  And you are so right, your body is healing and things will balance out in due time.  Something so well worth the wait!  

Cheering you on!

Marianne

4 posts, 0 answered