6 posts, 0 answered
  1. justfortoday
    justfortoday avatar
    168 posts
    12 Aug 2019
    30 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi ,

So this Tuesday is my three months of being smoke free. Soooo happy about that!

I've noticed a few things over the last couple of weeks, and I'm hoping for some advice / input. I started the final stage of the patch two weeks ago and my cravings have been more intense. Some of the feelings of anxiety, irritability and "wanting" to smoke are showing up more frequently.

I know in my heart smoking is not an option and I certainly have the tools to deal with it. But I feel I'm struggling more now than I did a month ago. It's just a little disconcerting.

I was expecting the pyhisical withdrawal weaning off the patch, but it's not leveling off. And I don't want to go back to a higher dose. I'm prepared to stick it out but I would be lying if I said that doesn't make me a bit nervous.

I remember reading something about the "3's". 3 days, three weeks and 3 months (I think atp posted about this??). I know day 3 was brutal for me, and three weeks had me climbing the walls. Is three months (or there abouts), another milestone?

Any advise is so appreciated.

Thanks all, and hope you're enjoying your weekend!
  2. renee, quitcoach
    renee, quitcoach avatar
    117 posts
    16 Jul 2018
    01 Dec 2019 in reply to justfortoday
    Link to this post
    Hello justfortoday,

Congratulations on quitting smoking!

Yes you are correct in that many people find 3's challenging as you mentioned, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. If you don't feel ready to come off the patch, please stay on the patch for a while longer. There is no need to rush especially if you are nervous or not 100% ready. Maybe going from the nrt patch to the nrt lozenge where you can control how much and how often you use it will be a nice way to get off the patch?

Please let us know how you are doing,

Renee
  3. mari_m
    mari_m avatar
    92 posts
    03 Jan 2019
    01 Dec 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi Justfortoday, Way to go, You are doing great! I used the patch stepping down each level that is recommended, and I also had Nicorette gum close by at all times for when I felt I really needed it. And I had cinnamon Exel gum with me too for when I was tired of chewing the Nic gum. I found it was nice to have some choices as to which plan I was going to use for that particular scenario. I was a bit concerned as to how I would manage with the weaker patches when stepping down and I did notice some withdrawal, but it was manageable with using the gum too. I also took the patch off each night before bedtime, so  only had it on about 16 hours a day instead of 24. Not sure if that made a difference, but I'm thinking it may have. Renee mentioned using the lozenge, and that could be another way to go, I never tried it but lots of people have used it with success. Thank goodness that there are a few different things to choose from for some help. I think we just have to keep trying until we find one or more that work. We will get through this knowing that we do not have to go through it alone. Don't forget to be good to yourself and remember One Day (sometimes one hour) at a Time!!  - m
  4. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    02 Dec 2019
    Link to this post
    justfortoday,

Sounds like you've hit that dreaded 3 month blah's.  The point in your quit where it feels like you should be over it and are getting frustrated with the cravings, and wondering if it gets better. The change in NRT patch adds to that. 

The 3 month mark was sort of the last kick at the can for the addict in my head. I was over the physical side, but the metal stuff, the triggers, etc. were still there. I was frustrated wanting to be free of the symptoms. 

I went cold turkey, so you are probably dealing with some nicotine withdrawal by changes in the patch. Don't let that phase you. You are so much stronger now and you value your quit so much. You will get past this. 

What i did was I wrote out all the benefits of quitting smoking that I personally experienced. I also wrote out the bad things i remembered about smoking. It really helped.  Why don't you make up a post about what you've experienced in the last 3 months.....You might be surprised. 

5. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    02 Dec 2019
    Link to this post
    One more thing...

Stand proud, you've accomplished an amazing thing. You quit smoking. 

You are a NON-SMOKER now. Don't ever forget that. 
  6. java
    java avatar
    2 posts
    02 Dec 2019
    02 Dec 2019 in reply to justfortoday
    Link to this post
    What about taking prescription medication to help with the urges. I know it's not for everyone but I find the Wellbutrin was helpful in helping with the urges. I'm wondering if you can go on both while reducing your nicotine patch strength. 
6 posts, 0 answered