Any help?

7 posts, 0 answered
  1. tiny2018
    tiny2018 avatar
    55 posts
    23 Mar 2019
    17 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    It has been a while now and pretty much was struggling so after I lost my kitty I had to put down. I thought for quite a while only thing keeping me together was all the vaping I was doing. I looked for the strongest ejuice and used that. I also realized that I was using that to keep me busy going in and outside to vale so I didn't think about how much I missed my kitty. I now have a 3 month old kitten and he is a joy but must say a bit of a mischief at times too. I am happy and really want to get back to my quit. I reset my quit date for tomorrow as got a big box of nicotine gum and its ready there for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may help my thinking og going in and outside or anything keeping my mind off stuff or keeping me busy that can try so that I don't go that way again?
  2. efreeman75
    efreeman75 avatar
    296 posts
    02 Apr 2018
    17 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Kittens, gum, vapes, ...  Only you can quit.  Look within for success.  Make the decision.  Make the decision yourself.  Reach deep within and only there will you find success
  3. tiny2018
    tiny2018 avatar
    55 posts
    23 Mar 2019
    18 Jul 2019 in reply to efreeman75
    Link to this post
    Thank you. Your totally right that it has to come from within and I have been looking inside which is where true inside I do want to become a non smoker and have hated that I started smoking for years now. one thing I haven't done is find strength in there. vqping I think was my way of not thinking about the loss of my cat tiny. my breathing is real bad and its not like I want to quit for the kitten nope it has to be for me and I know that this ones for me. I got the gum to help with the nicotine cravings I will keep making sure I stay tuned and look inside. I am trying as today is my first day smoke free again. thank gosh I never used the gum while was vaping as that would make things so much worse and not what the gum is for. when I woke up this morning did my morning routine with my kitten food water litter box and listened to todays news and made a cup of coffee. I am trying to totally change up my routines as these ones will be new ones that are made as a non smoker and keep continuing to do them smoke free.
  4. linda, quit coach
    linda, quit coach avatar
    146 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    18 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Good morning tiny2018,

Congratulations for taking this important decision to quit again! We are so happy to hear that things are getting better for you and you have now a 3 months old kitten that brings you a lot of joy.

You seem well prepared to quit again: you have the right mindset, you are trying to change your routine and you have a good tool - the nicotine gum – It’s awesome! You can do this!

As efreeman75 said “Look within for success”. You know yourself best, you can reflect on your past quit attempts or experience and rely on your strengths and skills. How will you distract yourself from smoking today? Do you have hobbies or activities that you enjoy? Do you like to go for a walk or visit a good friend?

People find helpful to have their hands busy with something: play on your phone, play games, play with a straw or a stress ball; brush your teeth; read a book; listen to music; watch a good movie; do a crossword puzzle or Sudoku; text a friend; do some cleaning, draw or paint something, do some exercise if you can or do anything that you enjoy. You may also use the 4 D’s for the cravings – Deep breathing, drink water, delay and distractions.

Cravings can start at any time. When you think about smoking or want a cigarette, do everything you can to get out of that situation. You can go somewhere else or do something else just to distract your mind for a few minutes or you may use your nicotine gum. Usually, cravings don’t last very long. Sometimes, they can be very strong but you are stronger than your cravings!

Tiny2018, you have come a long way and you have such a tremendous strength, the perseverance and the commitment to quit again today! We believe that you can do this! Keep moving forward in this way and very soon, you’ll be successful again!

Take care

5. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    18 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi tiny2018,

It is great that you are ready to quit again.  And you're right, you have to do it for yourself.  Like you said, your breathing is really bad.  I can relate to that.  It didn't take much to make me huff and puff.  And I used to find summers really hard, because of the heat and humidity.  I still don't like extremes of either one, but now that I no longer smoke, my breathing is so much better.  It's the difference between night and day.

Changing your routines is a good idea.  And do things to keep busy.  I remember that when I did groceries, I only bought part of what I needed, so that I was forced to go back out the next day.  That helped to keep me distracted.

The other thing I did was to buy the odd thing that I normally wouldn't buy for myself.  I figured that I would have spent the money on cigarettes anyway, so I might as well reward myself with something else I wanted.  And that was a kind of nice motivation.

Take it one step at a time, tiny2018.  You are strong enough to quit for good.  Believe in yourself.
  6. tiny2018
    tiny2018 avatar
    55 posts
    23 Mar 2019
    21 Jul 2019
    Link to this post

Thanks so much everyone. I read about the trial offer so delayed my quit a couple of days so could do the patch and gum together. Boy am glad I did. I got up at 6:30 even after being awake till after midnight and listened to the news and got up and went into the shower and put the patch right on after I got out. I made my coffee sat fed and cleaned my little guys litter box and St read the paper. Half into it was falling asleep so nap time. Today I decided to wing it not sticking to normal routines all day and went out a couple times too. All day was still having major cravings at times so the gum was very helpful with that as well. Almost through day 1 and have remains smoke free all day. Finding getting up to go into lichen or outside to vale am missing those times as I guess kind of broke up my day. Does anyone have any ideas that I could try?

7. grace, quit coach
    grace, quit coach avatar
    22 posts
    13 Jun 2019
    22 Jul 2019 in reply to tiny2018
    Link to this post

Hi tiny2018,

Congrats on getting back to your quit! I'm sure having your little one around is a helpful distraction now too. The first 3-4 days are definitely the hardest as others have said. From the sounds of it you're doing everything right, changing your routine and going out for a short walk or to run errands are simple ways to get your mind out of it's old habits. The patch and the gum are the best tools to help with the tougher times of day. You could also try our free app Break it Off for other ideas if you are on your phone much. 

Grace

7 posts, 0 answered