8 posts, 0 answered
  1. wskygrl1975
    wskygrl1975 avatar
    1 posts
    02 Mar 2023
    05 Mar 2023
    Link to this post
    Hi all,
    My quit date is March 8,2023. I’m having shoulder surgery that day. I think I’m ready. Thanks for having me.
  2. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    06 Mar 2023
    Link to this post
    Welcome to the forum and best of luck in your quit. U are not alone and we are all here to listen to you.
  3. freedomchild
    freedomchild avatar
    80 posts
    18 Jan 2022
    06 Mar 2023
    Link to this post
    Welcome.  I wish you the best in your quit. There is a lot of good information here. I hope your surgery goes well..
  4. yannick
    yannick avatar
    9 posts
    12 May 2021
    06 Mar 2023 in reply to wskygrl1975
    Link to this post
    Welcome and all the best for both surgery and quit smoking !
    I think it a very good idea and a great trigger to make both dates coincide.
    Years back I was successful to quit smoking for over a year in this way and without nicotine support. I did quit the day before my surgery. I have been honestly impressed how ''easy'' it has been for me in these conditions, despite my pack a day.
    So easy that I foolishly restarted 1 year later, thinking that anyway I could quit anytime so easily.. Big mistake...

First, being at the hospital makes it very difficult to find a place to smoke. Not to mention that being on a sidewalk dressed in a patient gown to get a smoke isn't going to be pleasant :) 
    Second, your brain will be very focused on recovering from the surgery and therefore less tempted to ruminate about cigarettes...
    All the best!

Last modified on 06 Mar 2023 16:49 by yannick
  5. ststephen
    ststephen avatar
    24 posts
    23 Feb 2023
    08 Mar 2023
    Link to this post
    An excellent decision! Wishing you big success in both the surgery and the quit. I am on day 12 and while it's rough, it is a big wakeup call and as time goes on, I can see the power of the addiction more and more clearly. So many reasons to do it and so much learning about the self. 
  6. buster
    buster avatar
    2 posts
    17 Mar 2023
    18 Mar 2023
    Link to this post
    Hi there.  This is my first time using this.  I've had several quit dates since the beginning of the year only to have relapses within 1-2 days thereafter.
    I'm setting a new wuitdate for March 20.  I have reduced my smoking from 3 packs(75) a day as of Jan 1, 2023 to less than 1 pack(<20) a day.
    I've tried gum, patch and Champix just recently.  The champix is giving terrible side effects for which my doctor suggested to reduce dosage but not stop and try adding a 2nd pill every 3 days instead of days until the body gets a little more comfortable every 2 days then daily with changes every week or two.

The gum is not helping but I'm finding the patch helping me with the cravings and/or withdrawals.

I have to have a good supply of patches to ensure I’m not running 
  7. buster
    buster avatar
    2 posts
    17 Mar 2023
    18 Mar 2023 in reply to buster
    Link to this post
    Any advice, guidance or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance
  8. ststephen
    ststephen avatar
    24 posts
    23 Feb 2023
    19 Mar 2023 in reply to buster
    Link to this post
    Hi buster. Great news that you have made a move to quit. I don’t know much about champix- or much at all about success as I am only quit for 25 days. But I can say that patch and lozenges for break through cravings have been helpful to me. I can also say that CAMH has a program that will send you patches, lozenges and/or gum for free. They will send enough for the whole quit. It takes two weeks or so to arrive in the mail. 
8 posts, 0 answered