New to group

24 posts, 0 answered
  1. amg063
    amg063 avatar
    3 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    14 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    This is my first visit to the site   But not my first time down this road.  Sadly I’ve quit three times.  21/2 years. 5 years and almost 2 my last quit.  Smoked for six months this time.  Know I don’t want to so here I go again.  1day down.  Wasn’t too bad. Hoping day two is as gentle on me.  
    Looking forward to meeting some quit buddies....
  2. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    14 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello amg063

Welcome to help line, here you will fined a lot motivation to quit and keep your quit! As you said, you quit before, so you know what you need and how to be prepare!

Congrats in your 1 smoke free day!

You may try to find out the triggers why you smoke again and how to avoid them!

You are not the first one who relapse, but the good think is to go back to quit zone and try again! Remember you need to get rid off Nico demon of your head!

One day at the time!

Please fell free to post how you feel!

You can do this! Be prepare! Distract yourself!
  3. jennifer, quit coach
    jennifer, quit coach avatar
    103 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    14 Jul 2018 in reply to amg063
    Link to this post
    Hi amg063,

Welcome to Smoker's Helpline Online! Glad you've joined us!

Know you are in good company, most people who've successfully quit have a number of attempts under their belt - we like to think of it as quit wisdom! 

Great to see you getting through Day 1 of your quit, are you using any quit aids? What are you doing to cope with any cravings? Can you tell we love to hear all the quit details!?

Come by anytime, we're all rooting for you as you start to add up smoke-free days.

All the best,

Jennifer

4. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    15 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi amg063,

Congratulations on completing Day 1. Quitting is a one day at a time venture so I don't doubt Day 2 will pass smoke free as well. This isn't my first rodeo either. The important thing is that i have learned a lot from the last time and I have now put together a workable quit plan that is creating satisfaction in my smoke free status each and every day. Reinforcing this goal with rewards along the way helps a lot. As a person, I was born with an inherent power of choice as a part of my makeup, and I have chosen to live my life without the dictates of a controlling habit.

Wishing you another smoke free day.

Eagerquit
  5. adream01
    adream01 avatar
    25 posts
    12 Jul 2018
    15 Jul 2018 in reply to amg063
    Link to this post
    Hello amg063

Welcone congratulations on taking the steps to be smoke free. I hope your second day is going smoothly. 

This is day 5 for me it’s not easy but very rewarding and I know in the long run will benefit my health n pocket book. I’ve been keeping busy crocheting, reading, self care, walking....

Have a wonderful smoke free day 👍
  6. jenna lee, quit coach
    jenna lee, quit coach avatar
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    15 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello everyone,

amg063 - welcome! thank you for your honestly as you make another quit attempt.

Many good suggestions here by adream01, eagerquit and brieffree:
    - use past relapses as learning opportunities (what went well, what did not). 
    - take it ODAAT (one day at a time)
    - think about your goals (why am I quitting)
    - reward yourself
    - distractions

We are all here for you,

Jenna Lee
  7. amg063
    amg063 avatar
    3 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    15 Jul 2018 in reply to adream01
    Link to this post
    Congrats on five days!  That’s amazing!  I have almost made it through day 2... not too bad just a different routine to get used to.  Using the patch so the cravings aren’t too bad. Hope your day was great!
  8. amg063
    amg063 avatar
    3 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    15 Jul 2018 in reply to eagerquit
    Link to this post
    Great point... I always hated how smoking controlled me in certain situations... won’t be worrying about that anymore!
  9. adream01
    adream01 avatar
    25 posts
    12 Jul 2018
    15 Jul 2018 in reply to amg063
    Link to this post
    amg063 

thank you. But I have to admit after spending a wonderful day with my granddaughter. I got her home and had to make a stop for a few groceries on the way home. In the back of mind wondering if this store sold smoke. No they didn't but the teller gladly told me around the corner there is a smoke shop that sold reasonable price cig. okay.....debate in my head as I cross the parking lot. in my vehicle I get.....turned the corner and there it is okay just one??But I've come this far! It won't hurt! In I go. The teller flips the display case and he doesn't have my brand but suggest something else. "No, thats fine I explained my five days and said this was a sign" Savings 14 bucks, lungs heart veins thank me. 
  10. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    16 Jul 2018 in reply to adream01
    Link to this post
    Hi adream01,

Great choice! We are so very often tempted by the smoke shop around the corner. How much am I willing to pay for another nail in my coffin? That would be $0.

Enjoy another smoke free day!

Eagerquit
  11. adream01
    adream01 avatar
    25 posts
    12 Jul 2018
    16 Jul 2018 in reply to eagerquit
    Link to this post
    Morning Eagerquit,

im ashamed to say I caved on my way to work this morning 😒 I’m trying hard not to beat myself up. Like Scarlett OHara said “ tomorrow is another day “ 
    ive reset my starting date and have been going over in my mind the trigger that led me to cave. I’ve pin pointed it and now wondering how I’m going resolve it. Have a wonderful day ☀️
  12. bdmoro
    bdmoro avatar
    8 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    16 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    hello all.  i am getting on in life and have quit many times, sometimes for years.  seems i was more serious when younger even though it is more important to quit [cough, cough] for my health now.  so if you are younger, think of how healthy you will be for the rest of your life now that you have quit, as well as how much else you can do for and with your life with all that money you are saving!!!!!!    and kick that "nicodemon" right off your planet.      aka,       diane
  13. bdmoro
    bdmoro avatar
    8 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    16 Jul 2018 in reply to amg063
    Link to this post
    hello amg063.  promise me you will not beat yourself up about having tried quitting before.  i prefer thinking of myself as "STOPPING" smoking because when i am doing anything that i dont want to be doing, i STOP doing it.  for me this word has a more positive spin.   diane
    Last modified on 16 Jul 2018 11:24 by bdmoro
  14. bdmoro
    bdmoro avatar
    8 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    16 Jul 2018 in reply to adream01
    Link to this post
    i really like your style of reporting.  stream of consciousness.  i am going to apply this to any weak moment i may have.   day 1 for me, i have successfully been smoke free probably 10 times now in my life.  11 is the charm?  i would love to set this number in stone.  hope to hear from you again,      diane
  15. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    16 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi bdmoro,

Congratulations on your decision to go smoke free. It is never too late. I am 66 years old and I too quit many times over the years without success until now. I put in place a solid quit plan that I could follow and used NRT lozenges and gum to help with the pesky cravings. These forums have been a real boon to me in my quit with all the information and support found here. I am now over four months into my journey and enjoying life now more than ever. Any wistfulness I might feel for smoking evaporates when the lady across the street comes out to her porch for a smoke. From the moment she lights up until she butts out she is hacking and coughing.

Wishing you success in your quit.

Eagerquit
  16. smitty
    smitty avatar
    98 posts
    12 Jul 2018
    16 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello amg063, welcome to the smokers helpline, Day one, pretty rough eh!, you have quit before so you know how thing go, I was quit for almost 8 Years when I started smoking again, that was
    almost 2 years ago,   Now I humbly came back to the place I called home for almost 8 year . On August 4 I will be celebrating 3 months, not much has changed, I still crave cigarettes, I still at times want to go to the store and get a pack, but I know I can’t do that, I am fighting for
    my life and at times I am just barely hanging on, but just for foday I will remain smoke free Iand pray that you do as well, i wish you all the best in the days to come, its not easy, but you already know this
  17. nerak47
    nerak47 avatar
    48 posts
    23 Jan 2018
    17 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Good morning amg063,

Quitting is a process...smoking (the addiction) is intrusive. 
    Many of us non smokers have made a few attempts and then bam! We notice we haven't smoked for a longer time...practice practice makes quitting less hard (not easier, but yes, less hard). And I am still, seeing how disruptive smoking was for me! 
    I also still have sticky note reminders about why I stay quit [into my 5 month]...
    I'll be a quit buddy with you
    nerak
  18. bdmoro
    bdmoro avatar
    8 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    17 Jul 2018 in reply to eagerquit
    Link to this post
    Hello;  congratulations on being smoke free for 4months!  my worst downfall is smoking friends, relatives.  one of my best friends [decades, smoker] has recently quit smoking but her "quit" allows herself to smoke O.P's, including on and off and most recently, my O.P's.  she set me up real good last Thursday.  her thing of course was never to buy cigarettes again.  i was 3-4weeks into not buying cigarettes for myself, as well.  well, she had 5 minutes to kill while she waited for me to hook up with her to go to a local concert so she headed down to the 7-11, and bought a LARGE pack of cigarettes.  i arrived right as she was looking down at the unopened pack in her hand.  probably realizing the big mistake she had just made.  i had had some beer, so was overly laid back. i had also won money in a 50/50 draw that afternoon.   we smoked some.  she even asked me to contribute!  i gave her 5$ [so now i was invested].  at the end of the night she dropped the bomb.  i cant take these home with me so you have to keep them.   i am sure you can guess part of what transpired over the next few days for me.  i called the smokers helpline for support and i was finally able to tell her yesterday (Monday) that this was not working for me after i had stashed the smokes in the detached garage.  SHE IS COMING TONIGHT TO GET THEM OR I DESTROY THEM.  she was sure she wanted to get them.  this is how i know she may need to learn some if she is going to be honest about where she really stands with the smoking issue.       hope the story isnt too long, ie putting you to sleep.....have you ever been in a similar situation?
  19. bdmoro
    bdmoro avatar
    8 posts
    14 Jul 2018
    17 Jul 2018 in reply to smitty
    Link to this post
    hello smitty;   you must be very happy that for many years of your life you were not smoking and so gave your body a few breaks over the years.  you must also be very happy that most recently you have managed for almost 3 months to kick the nicodemon away.AGAIN!!!!!!!!  please take a deep breath, BECAUSE YOU NOW CAN.  i am rooting for you to stay quit.   you have stopped something, now you have time to fill that time you spent smoking doing ANYTHING YOU ENJOY!  Can you tell me how it felt when you were smoke free for 8 years.  i have never been quit for that long.    d
  20. jenna lee, quit coach
    jenna lee, quit coach avatar
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    17 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi everyone again and welcome to the conversation bdmoro,

It is interesting that you all have common experiences and great that you are sharing them. 

adream01 - this was a tough week for you, but you set a new quit date which is the most important thing.

bdmoro - that is a great question. Perhaps other can share as well if they have had a similar situation. There are so many aspects to quitting beyond the physical and social circumstances can surely influence us.

Here's to not giving up!

Jenna Lee
  21. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    17 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    HI,

I thought I would join the conversation about having friends who smoke (or who do not smoke). My longest quit was for 7 years in the 1980s. I can remember being at a party where everyone else smoked. Back then people smoked freely indoors and I was so overwhelmed by the second hand smoke that I was the one who went outdoors to get away from it. I eventually caved because it seemed that everyone I knew smoked. Now, in 2018, I was actually the only one among my friends and relatives who still smoked. I was again the one who had to go outside, but now it was in order to smoke. How ironic is that? And so now in quitting I am again going with the flow. Since I don't have friends today who smoke, I've had no temptation while with other people.

Wishing everyone another smoke free day.

Eagerquit

22. aurora
    aurora avatar
    94 posts
    08 Mar 2018
    22 Jul 2018
    Link to this post

Good morning everyone,

it has been awhile since I've been on the site.  this is such an interesting conversation.

I stopped smoking four and a half months ago, and this month there have been new things that have come up and triggered me really strongly. 
    Some of the things I remembered to get through it were:
    -Smokers Helpline sent an email that said the year of firsts could present challenges.  My first summer of not smoking (this time around) will mean I face situations where smoking typically occurred.  It can be hard to go to parties where others are smoking! 
    -I remind myself about NOPE (thanks to Treepeo!) this is my motto - NOT ONE PUFF EVER!  I have started again in the past by convincing myself I could have one puff.  then the slippery slope starts......
    -limit the number of drinks, or time spent around others who are smoking.  This can be tough, but I've had to change some relationships because I really want to stay a non-smoker. Smoking can be a social addiction, and so others who are doing it are in different places. It is often true that when people give up addiction, they have to rework their lives to do something else. 
    -spend time around others who are not smoking or go to places where there is no smoking. 
    When I have gone to places where there is a lot of smoking, I did distraction and telling myself NOPE. 

I love my freedom from cigarettes and nicotine!  Keep up the quit everyone.

23. valerie, quit coach
    valerie, quit coach avatar
    46 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    22 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Good afternoon Aurora,

Congratulations on your 4 months and a half smoke-free journey! 

I find very inspiring how you broke down the different challenges and how you are implementing different strategies to overcome them. 

Have a nice smoke-free day/summer.

Valerie
  24. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    22 Jul 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi aurora,

Congratulations on reaching four and a half months smoke free. I am also at the same. Each day i enjoy the smoke free life a little more. Like you said there is no shortage of triggers in this year of firsts. Thank you for sharing your message of strength and inspiration. Avoiding places and situations where there would be a lot of smoking is important for me as well.

Wishing you another smoke free day!

Eagerquit
24 posts, 0 answered