Day 992 of My Quit Journey

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. aurora
    aurora avatar
    94 posts
    08 Mar 2018
    21 Nov 2020
    Link to this post
    It has been awhile since I had been on this forum.

I quit on March 5, 2018 and I never believed that I would be writing that I am celebrating day 992 in my quit journey.

The key for me has been NOPE - Not One Puff Ever!  I learned that from Treepeo on this site, and it has been a code breaker for me.

In the early days, I was on the forum often.  As supportive as everyone in my life is (or isn't) of my quit, the people on this site are here on any given day. If they were not there in real time, I could read past posts.  
    I started smoking at 13 and smoked for decades. My first quit attempt was at 16 years old. 
    How many times did I try to quit?  I don't know....it was at least 20 and I had really lost a lot of confidence in my ability to quit.
    I vowed to quit many times. My 40th birthday, or when I had a concerning nodule in my lung that was found to be benign so I continued to smoke, or as a New Year's resolution, or because I was pregnant,  or because I had dental surgery, or because I had nowhere left to smoke but outside in the cold, etc.
    the past quit took me one year to prepare to quit, and I blew past every single quit date. I wasn't ready. I could not do it. It was a really bad time with so much stress at work, or with parenting, or whatever the tough stuff was that I was dealing with at the time.

Through this quit, I am persevering through the pandemic, through family deaths, through parenting struggles, and through aging. 

I have no magic to share. There was a blizzard, I had a closet full of NRT because I had been preparing for a year, and I had no smokes and I decided that was it. The days that followed were difficult. Crippling headaches, irritability, fatigue and also disrupted sleep. And some really challenging cravings.  

I drank water, used natural remedies to help with stress, got a dog, started walking more, did a mindfulness class,  AVOIDED a lot - liquor, cannabis, smokers, going outside to just hang out, going to places where people would be smoking,
    I celebrated my FREEDOM and my extra dollars!  I celebrated my health and healing! Telling myself - I am going on this holiday and am able to get a really nice hotel room with my savings from quitting smoking. 
    This did not happen all at once, it happened over time, one moment at a time, one day at a time, as I was ready to take on something else. 

Keep going, keep coming back here, keep loving yourself. 
    I have gained so much as a result of quitting I cannot imagine going back.

2. wimporswim
    wimporswim avatar
    65 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    22 Nov 2020 in reply to aurora
    Link to this post
    Hi aurora,
    Congrats on 992 days of smokelessness!  We share so many similarities in our smoking history and on our quit journey.  You have put into words so many things that I can relate to.  I also learned a lot from Treepeo that goes far beyond NOPE.  We are never going back - NOPE!
  3. treepeo1
    treepeo1 avatar
    255 posts
    06 Feb 2020
    22 Nov 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi aurora,

It is so great to hear from you again, and to know that you have kept your hard-earned quit.  Yippee!

Man, did you hit the nail on the head.  We used to use every challenge, every anniversary, every good thing and every bad thing as a reason to smoke.  That's how so many of us grew up.  And it's really hard to change that mindset.  But we are proof that it IS possible.  It takes planning, hard work and commitment, but in the end, it is sooo worth it.  Besides all of the other benefits, it is great not to be ruled by this addiction, and having to let cravings dictate what we do and when.  To this day, I marvel when I am out somewhere and realize that I don't have to alter my plans just so I can have a smoke.  That freedom is amazing, and I would not give it up for anything.

I am super proud of you, aurora.  It was a tough road, but you persevered and became a non-smoker.  I am glad to hear that NOPE was of help to you.  As thrilled as I am to be a non-smoker, I still get the odd niggle from time to time, and I just tell myself no, Not One Puff Ever.  And before you know it, I am through it and back on track.  It just goes to show that we can never be complacent, because this addiction is a strong one and will attack you when you least expect it.  But we all have what it takes to remain victorious.

Rock on aurora!  You've got this!
  4. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    24 Jan 2022
    Link to this post
    Love finding threads like this that sound so familiar. I think we have all tried to quit so many times but for whatever reason the timing just wasnt right. Eventually we get there and the battle begins. Then its just a matter of staying focused and sticking with it. Hopefully some day Ill log on here and have 992 days in the pocket. Right now I just have to take it one day at a time. 
4 posts, 0 answered