New here, quit at 940 pm on Friday April 13

10 posts, 0 answered
  1. smokefreesteph
    smokefreesteph avatar
    5 posts
    16 Apr 2018
    15 Apr 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi, my name is steph, I have been smoking a pack of cigarettes everyday for 25 years.  With 3 atempts never longer than 6 months.  My mother died 15 months ago from lung cancer, she quit for 2 years before she was diagnosed at 59, the disease took her from us in 9 months.  I have a teenager who absolutely hates my smoking.  It's been a true love hate relationship with tobacco for years.  My family is supportive.  My partner smokes, but we don't live together so that helps, he also doesn't do it in front of me now.  So I started taking cha pix on my moms birthday one month ago, and officially quit on Friday April 13th.  Fingers crossed, it hasn't been as challenging as previous attempts, but still struggling with frequent cravings.  Using the occasional Nicolette lozenge to help.  
    looking forward to the support, guidance and providing some support on here too
  2. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    16 Apr 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi smokefreesteph,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, especially at such a young age.  What makes it worse is that her illness was a direct result of smoking.  That is a wake up call for all of us.

It is great that you have decided to quit once again.  It doesn't matter that you weren't successful in the past.  Just try to learn from your past experiences, and make this attempt a successful one. You have two really good reasons to quit.  One is for you and you alone.  The other is for your daughter.

Remember to drink lots of water, and do things to distract yourself.  Make a list of all the reasons why you want to quit, and refer to it often.

You can do this, smokefreesteph.  Believe in yourself!
  3. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    16 Apr 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi smokefreesteph,

I am sorry for your loss. It is tragic to lose someone so close.

Champix is very helpful in the decision to quit. I used nicotine lozenges and gum myself and have now come over 5 weeks on my my own smoke free journey.

These forums are very helpful for tips and support.

Eagerquit
  4. sarah, quit coach
    sarah, quit coach avatar
    222 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    16 Apr 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello & welcome to SHL.ca, smokefreesteph.
    Our sincere condolences for the recent loss of your mother.

Congratulations on coming back to your quit...you have had great success with long quits, and this is your time! Any particular distractions that have helped with your strong cravings?
    We look forward to hearing from you whenever you want....
    All the best and keep up the great work!
    Sarah
  5. ocean
    ocean avatar
    286 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    16 Apr 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Smokefreesteph,
    Welcome to the helpline!  I've been using NRTs for the 3 months I have put in this quit.  But like you, I've quit before.  The one thing I learned from other attempts was that if I slipped, I would throw in the towel and give up.  Looking back, I kick myself for that kind of thinking.  This time I just keep doing my best until I've got it done.  I had 3 minor slips, but threw it in the sink then into the garbage, and I've gone without 2,200 cigarettes.  Everyday, I'm on this journey until I'm cured.
    Best of luck to you.
  6. mtessaye
    mtessaye avatar
    1 posts
    03 May 2018
    03 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Steph, its been a few weeks. How are you feeling?  I quit 3 days ago on April 30.  Looking for some inspiration. 
  7. sarah, quit coach
    sarah, quit coach avatar
    222 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    03 May 2018
    Link to this post
    And a happy day #3 to you mtessaye! Whats been working well for you? Please do not hesitate to post any questions/suggestions/concerns.
    A great spot for inspiration is the Day to Day forum, complete with quotes & a daily pledge to help community members be connected and stay motivated! Certainly, feel free to share with us what has been keeping you quit too!
    Warmly,
    Sarah
  8. eagerquit
    eagerquit avatar
    415 posts
    07 Mar 2018
    03 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Welcome mtessaye!

Happy Day 3. I have enjoyed being smoke free for two months now using NRT lozenges and gum to help me along the way. What particularly helps me is referring to the list of reasons to quit that I put together before starting on this journey. I also keep a list of rewards for the money I save. My dashboard now tells me I have already saved 14 days of life by not lighting up and that is the nicest gift of all that I could give to myself.

Wishing you continued success in your journey.

Eagerquit
  9. nerak47
    nerak47 avatar
    48 posts
    23 Jan 2018
    03 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Good morning smokefreesteph,

First, sad news about your loss! It's a terrible irony that that's what is takes sometimes for some ppl to quit. I am sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine.
    I also was a long time smoker (most folks on here have also been) and I knew i needed something stronger than my cravings - I was scared of the side effects of Champix, so that was my last resort.  In the end, it's Champix that finally worked for me and I was pleasantly surprised. I had no cravings, other than mental cravings...that was my biggest challenge. After nicotine was out of my body, I battled only my head against
    cravings...and had to talk myself out of "wanting" a smoke. The cravings did peter off, and I found myself scared to be off Champix. I weaned off Champix after 2months of taking it and I have been completely off Champix for just over 2weeks. I have been, on my own , not smoking for 2weeks. I am grateful that cravings aren't as intense, however, I do sometimes think "I should be having a cigarette", sitting down with cup of coffee, driving, but it's not a craving. 
    I haven't had a cigarette for 86 days and life is definitely different 

nerak 
  10. aurora
    aurora avatar
    94 posts
    08 Mar 2018
    06 May 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi smokefreesteph

sorry for the loss of your mom

I can relate so much to your post.  I haven't been on for awhile.  Hoping you are finding ways to keep up your quit or to keep trying.....

I've quit for two months now, and there have been many challenges.
    I've used NRT's - nicotine gum and lozenges, and there are days now when I don't use them.  There are other days when I know I'm going to need them, to get past the triggers,  That has been the biggest challenge this past month - getting past all the triggers. 

I haven't lost my mom, who has smoked for more than 50 years, but in the last month my aunt and my dear friend have both been diagnosed with cancer - lung and brain.  Both are non smokers.  This strengthens my resolve to keep going.
    I have a young son who hates my smoking and is so proud of me for quitting. he is one of my main reasons for quitting and for NEVER going back. 

I've smoked for more than 35 years, and I'm hoping for the grace to heal from all that abuse on my body, and to have as much time as I can with my son and my loved ones. 

I'm rooting for you!  send an update to let me know how you're doing
10 posts, 0 answered