5 posts, 0 answered
  1. kathleen1981
    kathleen1981 avatar
    2 posts
    01 Oct 2019
    01 Oct 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi everyone, 

I'm on day 1. Havent smoke since 10pm last night (Sept 30).
    I'm using the Nicorette mini lozenges. They are helping. 
    I was fine till after lunch. Now i'm really really struggling.
    I've been a smoker for about 20 years.
    I am quitting because I need to be healthy for my kids. It scares me that smoking will cut my time short with them. And I also hid my pack a day habit from them thus far, cause I don't want them to be smokers.

Really really struggling right now. How long till it gets better?
  2. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    01 Oct 2019 in reply to kathleen1981
    Link to this post
    Hi Kathleen1981,

First of all, congratulations on making the decision to quit and getting started! Everything from here on out is just following through and staying true to yourself.

For most people the cravings come to a peak within the first 3-5 days and then things start to get easier. Day 1 can be tricky as there are so many adjustments to make all at once -- I would imagine especially after smoking for 20 years.

We encourage people to take it one day at a time -- or even one craving at a time. Each time you push past a craving you're reinforcing that decision that you've made.

On a day like today when you're really struggling, it may help to use the lozenges more (as long as you don't exceed the limit stated by the manufacturer).

You've done well so far in getting started and reaching out for support! The next step is to just keep going!

Now it would be nice to hear from others who've been through this -- how long did it take until you were feeling better?
  3. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    Link to this post
    Kathleen, 

Welcome to the community and a big 'WOOHOO' to you for taking the step to quit smoking. 

The patch/lonzenges are great, but they deliver a steady lower dose of nicotine. For those crawling up the wall cravings try using the mist - it isn't cheap but is does give you a quick come down from those cravings. 

I also drank lots and lot of water. Then there was the small snacks to keep my hand s and mouth busy - Nibs, gum, healthy pea chips, oranges. 

First few days are totally disorienting - you want to smoke, you are used to smoking, and what exactly do you do if you are not smoking? 

Focus on a picture of your kids - that is your motivator for today. You know that they can smell the smoke on you and all your belongings so there is no hiding it. One of the first things I noticed after quitting was my smell returned real fast and I could pick out someone who smoked from 10 feet away. 

Take a deep breath, you can do this. One day at a time.
    Last modified on 01 Oct 2019 15:45 by atp
  4. justfortoday
    justfortoday avatar
    168 posts
    12 Aug 2019
    Link to this post
    Hey Kathleen,

I know this is hard … believe me, I smoked for so long that I didn't know who I was without it. WE are all here for you.

Along with the great advice here, just set a timer in your head.  Just make it through the next 1/2 hour. Just make it through until dinner. Just make it through until bedtime.

I thought I was going to turn inside out those first several days. And I wish I could make this easier for you. Like atp said, think of your babies. I didn't stop smoking as my two kids grew up and my daughter who is a mother herself now, still struggles with smoking.

I always hid my smoking from my granddaughters (ages five and two), for the same reasons you did. But last weekend my eldest granddaughter hugged me so hard around the neck and whispered in my ear … "You smell good, nana."  Wow, if that isn't incentive, I don't know what is.

Stay strong. You can do this. And you don't have to do it alone.
  5. merline, quit coach
    merline, quit coach avatar
    124 posts
    12 Sep 2018
    04 Oct 2019 in reply to kathleen1981
    Link to this post
    Hi Kathleen1981,

Once again congratulations! Quitting after smoking for about 20 years is really a huge success.

Sorry to hear that you were struggling and as it was mentioned earlier when you're really struggling, you should use the lozenges more often.

How are you feeling now?

I like when you say, “It scares me that smoking will cut my time short with them”. So, you want to live longer to be there for your children, make sure you always keep your motivation in mind because it will help you stay smoke-free.

Rewarding is one of the most important things you can do to help yourself stay on track.
    For many people who are struggling, finding ways to reward themselves can help lift their mood. Even small things, like reading a magazine or listening to music or making a list of activities or events that you enjoy and plan to do one day can add up and help you feel better.

One day at a time!
5 posts, 0 answered